Most of these injuries are due to improper use, short fuses, defective products, re-lighting of fireworks, erratic flight, and use of alcohol while playing with fireworks. The Firecracker is the most common firework to cause injuries. However, even the most innocent seeming firework of them all, the sparkler, burns as hot as 1000 degrees Fahrenheit which can quickly catch clothing on fire causing severe burns.
Leave it to the professionals, but if you must use fireworks, in accordance with local laws and ordinances, the following are some safety tips to keep in mind.
- Always read and follow the directions
- Have an adult present
- Never give fireworks, not even sparklers, to small children
- Buy only LEGAL fireworks!!!!!!!
- NEVER experiment with making your own fireworks
- Be sure everyone is out of range
- NEVER ignite fireworks indoors
- NEVER shoot fireworks out of containers
- DO NOT ignite near flammable liquids
- Ignite one at a time
- NEVER reignite malfunctioning fireworks, soak them in water and dispose of them properly.
- Have water readily available
- NEVER throw fireworks at another person
- Store fireworks as directed by the manufacturer
- NEVER carry fireworks in your pocket
- Properly dispose of all fireworks
Enjoy the Fourth of July holiday by being safe.