The Cottleville Fire Protection District is seeking applicants for a Fire Inspector/Plans Examiner. Under general supervision from the Fire Marshal/Assistant Chief provides technical assistance in the prevention of fires through code enforcement and inspection, education, investigation, and testing of fire suppression systems. Reviews blueprints and plans for new or remodeled buildings in order to ensure the structure meets all applicable fire codes, laws, ordinances, regulations and standards. This position is a full time uniformed, salaried, non-suppression position within the bargaining union. Typical office hours are 8:00-16:30.
The Fire Inspector will evaluate new and existing buildings to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal fire and safety codes.
- Inspects and evaluates new and existing buildings; prepares reports of findings.
- Provides consultation and guidance during planning phases of construction to ensure structures meet fire and safety codes.
- Issues violations, identifying and suggesting resolutions for noted issues; revisits previously inspected locations to ensure corrections have been made.
- Performs safety audits and inspections at specified venues in preparation for major events.
- Inspects systems and protocols for special events and other circumstances involving flammable or combustible materials.
- Develops or assists with development of evacuation and fire safety plans as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Thorough understanding of fire and safety codes and ordinances, construction principles, and common alarm systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as needed to effectively deal with the public.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- At least three years of code enforcement experience on new and existing construction.
- Missouri Division of Fire Safety Inspector I certification or equivalent.
- Valid Driver's License
- Possess and maintain a good driving record
- Successful passage of drug screen and physical upon job offer.
- Associates degree in a related discipline.
- Either ICC Fire Plans Examiner Certification (or equivalent) or the Plan Examiner I Certification from an IFSAC or NBFSPQ approved program
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of standing, walking, and exposure to adverse weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time.
How to Apply:
Online employment applications can be completed by following this link: Fire Inspector/Plans Examiner Employment Application
Applications will be accepted through Friday, March 18, 2022.
Cottleville Fire Protection District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.