West Lake Landfill is located in the jurisdiction of St. Louis County Emergency Management. Because of the proximity of our county to this area, St. Charles County has participated in planning concerning an event at Westlake Landfill, and has collaborated with St. Louis County in the development of their regional West Lake Landfill Emergency Operations Plan. To ensure that plans coordinate successfully, St. Charles County has and will continue to participate in exercises and planning meetings with St. Louis County.
- The smoldering event at West Lake does not pose an immediate threat to our residents.
- To stay informed, the West Lake Community Advisory Group is a key resource. It is a nonprofit organization run by volunteers that hold regular meetings and reviews information in regards to the West Lake Landfill. There was a similar organization that existed in St. Charles County in regards to the Weldon Spring radioactive waste disposal site and they were always well-informed. To get involved and to sign up for meeting notifications, visit: http://westlakecag.org/.
- St. Charles County’s Division of Emergency Management continuously develops and updates plans that encompass a variety of emergency situations, and encourages the public to do the same. Resources to help develop plans for your family are available on our website: http://www.sccmo.org/805/Preparedness-Planning-for-All-Hazards.
- St. Charles County’s Division of Emergency Management remains in ongoing communication with St. Louis County Emergency Management in regards to the situation at West Lake.
- Situation updates from all available sources in regards to West Lake are monitored by the St. Charles County Division of Emergency Management as released.
- As with any natural or man-made emergency, St. Charles County’s Division of Emergency Management will communicate to the public through television, radio, and online media channels any and all steps citizens need to take in the event an incident occurs and/or action needs to be taken.
Internal resources to reference for more information West Lake: